Our Big Surprise • Pt. I

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Yesterday morning, I woke up and stumbled into the bathroom, still half asleep, and took a pregnancy test. I don't know why I even took a test. I hadn't been thinking about taking one, and I had no reason to believe I was pregnant. I had been having period-like cramps for the past week (which I found out today was my uterus getting ready to house a small human), but there was no show of a period. My body has a history of doing crazy things, so I fully expected the test to be negative. I dipped the strip into the cup, pulled it out, and laid it flat on the back of the toilet. The results appeared so fast that I didn't even have time to walk out of the room and wait the 5 minutes they instruct you to wait.

It didn't hit me until I had been staring at it for a few minutes, trying to put my finger on why it looked so weird. Two lines. . . Pregnant. I thought maybe the test was broken. I thought I might have grabbed an OPK instead of a pregnancy test. I thought maybe they were kidding about two lines meaning pregnant, that they had switched it and two lines now meant negative. I read the directions twelve times over, to make sure I did it right the first time, then I started dipping strips like a mad woman.

Three more tests read positive. I sent a picture of the first test to my best friend back home, and she agreed that it indeed looked very positive. After I had finished squealing, jumping up and down, shaking, and didn't feel like I was going to throw up any longer, I called our health insurance company to ask what I needed to do in order to see a doctor. (We have Tricare. You have to jump through hoops of fire and juggle flaming knives before they'll let you see a specialist. Honest, you do.) They told me to come into the Women's Health Clinic on base to 'verify' the pregnancy with a blood test. After filling out a phone book size stack of paperwork, being told I couldn't possibly be pregnant with my irregular cycles (This nurse clearly needed some help perfecting her bedside manner.), and being poked and prodded, they sent me home and told me to call them after 8:00 A.M. the next day for the results. Meanwhile, I had to figure out some way to surprise Alex with the good news. . .

Read: Our Big Surprise, Pt. II


  1. Andrea,

    I'm a complete stranger but stumbled upon your blog the other day, and I just had to say that this is one of the most adorable, moving, and heartfelt posts I have ever read. As someone who has been trying to conceive for two and a half years, I share in your and your husband's newfound joy! I was really struck by your "about me" section, as I felt it to be a perfect description of myself. I know we don't know each other, but I wanted you to know you had given me an ounce of hope, at a time that I couldn't find my own. So for that, I thank you.

    Good luck with your pregnancy, and I wish you many blessings in this new chapter of your life!

    God bless,



© The Long Way Home All rights reserved . Design by Blog Milk Powered by Blogger